Thursday, May 5, 2011

Grand Canyon


On April 11th, we drove from St. George to the Grand Canyon.  It took about five hours and was a pleasant ride.  Red and black licorice as well as Kelly's usual corn nuts kept us well energized.  We checked into the Maslow Lodge,  and then we hiked down the same trail that Rosemary and I  had hiked to the bottom of the canyon back in 2004--the South Kaibab trail.  There was some snow, and wearing Tiva's didn't make the journey very easy for Kelly.  Unfortunately, we also left our hiking poles in the car!  The weather was perfect for the hike with temperatures in the 50's.  I saw a couple of Bewick's wrens, which adds another bird to my life list.  They were foraging just a few feet from the trail and did not seem to mind my presence there a bit.




Gorgeous!  


The next day we got up and explored the canyon at overlooks.  


I love the way the Park Service builds safety rails and steps.  What a lot of work to make things safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment